Google Meet tips and tricks: Enjoy the Google app
This page was translated using AI and machine learning before being reviewed by a human editor in your native language.
(Pocket-lint) – Google’s Meet video conferencing app is a great way to connect with people for work or pleasure. Anyone with a Google Account can start or join a meeting on meet.google.com or using the iOS or Android apps.
You can also add Google Meet to any scheduled Google Calendar event or meeting and start meetings directly from there.
On desktop, Google Meet runs entirely in your browser, so no additional software needs to be installed if you’re using Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge.
In Google Meet, all data is encrypted between the client and Google for video conferencing on a web browser, on Android and iOS apps, and in meeting rooms with Google meeting room hardware. Each meeting has a unique encryption key, and Google Meet’s security controls are enabled by default.
How to start a video conference using Google Meet
Anyone with a Google account can start a meeting. If you don’t have one, it’s easy to create one. You’ll probably already have one, especially if you have a Gmail account.
If you’re using a computer, start a video meeting by going to meet.google.com in your web browser, or click Google Meet in Gmail or your Google Calendar. If you’re using a phone or tablet, download the Google Meet app.
- In Google Meet, click Join or start a meeting
- Choose a nickname for your meeting or leave it blank and use the 10-letter meeting ID generated for you. Click Continue.
- Share your meeting nickname or meeting ID with attendees.
How to schedule a video meeting using Google Calendar
- In Google Calendar, click Create to create a new calendar entry and invite people to your video meeting
- Choose the Add a video conference option. You can also change the automatically generated 10-letter meeting ID and use your own meeting nickname.
- Send the calendar invite to your meeting attendee.
Note that people who weren’t on your original calendar invite can only join the video meeting 15 minutes early and must be admitted by the organizer. Thus, people cannot join a meeting randomly.
How to start a video meeting from Gmail
- In the Gmail sidebar, click Start Meeting and Join Now.
- Add participants to your video meeting by:
- Click Copy Login Info to share the meeting code with them
- You can also select Add people and send them an invitation email.
Change your Google Meet meeting view to gallery/tile mode
On macOS or Windows, you can choose whichever Google Meet layout you prefer – otherwise, Google Meet with automatic switching to show the active participant (the person speaking or present).
Click the icon in the lower right corner of the screen and click More > Edit Layout. Here are the different views available with an explanation for each.
Auto – lets Meet choose the layout for you.
Mosaic – like Zoom’s Gallery View, this shows up to 16 people when there’s no presentation. Move your mouse to see the name of each participant. Presentations appear in a large tile, with the most active participants on the side. If someone joins after the meeting has started, their image will be at the bottom of the screen.
spotlight – the presentation, active speaker or pinned stream fills the window.
Lateral bar – view the active speaker or the presentation with additional participants on the side.
Share your screen during your Google Meet
- Go to the lower right corner and select Show my screen.
- Choose whether you’ll share your entire screen, a window, or a Chrome tab
Finally, click Share.
- To stop sharing your screen. just click Stop Screen Sharing.
If you’re viewing a Google doc, slides, or web page, choose Select Chrome Tab. With this you can also choose to share your audio, ideal if you want to show a YouTube video or similar.
Pin, mute, or remove participants from your video meeting
Only meeting creators and owners can mute or remove other participants.
Note that you can click on a participant’s image to pin them to the screen. You can select a participant to mute, pin, or remove.
To pin someone’s video as the primary video you see, navigate to that particular person’s thumbnail image and click the pin icon.
Is there an echo or background noise? If you’re the call owner, you can mute other participants’ microphones by placing your cursor over the volume icon and clicking mute.
To remove participants
Only the creator or owner of the video call can remove a participant from the call.
- Go to the top right corner of the screen and find the People option.
- Hover over the person you want to remove, then click the back arrow.
- Then click Delete.
Use meeting captions
The captions feature is similar to that available on other apps like Skype and means you can have the conversation appear in writing on your screen in real time so it’s easier to follow what’s being said during video calls. It is only available in English
To turn it on, go to the bottom right corner of Meet and click Turn Captions On.
Written by Dan Grabham. Edited by Max Freeman-Mills.