How to Force Google Chrome to Show Any Website in Dark Mode
This page was translated using AI and machine learning.
(Pocket-lint) – Chrome can be easily switched to dark mode, giving you a much more eye-pleasing experience for late-night Google searches. What’s more, Chrome can even force websites with a light theme to display inverted colors, giving you a dark background and light-colored text.
If you’re looking to save your mobile battery or just reduce glare on your desktop monitor, here’s how to turn it on.
How to enable dark mode for Chrome on Windows 10
- Enter the Windows Settings menu , click on Customization then on Colors and scroll to the switch marked Choose your color .
- Change that to dark enable dark mode on all apps with native support, including Chrome.
However, this will only affect the browser interface and menus. If you want to change the appearance of web content, forcing light-colored web pages to display dark background and white text, follow these steps
How to force dark mode for Chrome web content
- Enter the following address in your URL bar: chrome: // flags / # enable-force-dark
- This will bring up a hidden Chrome settings menu and the Force Dark Mode option.
- Go to the drop-down menu next to Force dark mode and select Enabled.
- At the bottom, tap the Relaunch button to restart your browser.
Note: In step 3 above, you will see several options in the drop-down menu; they all work the same, just changing the color schemes available. You can test them all if you want. It depends on your personal preferences.
How to enable dark mode for Chrome on macOS
- Open them System Preferences, choose General , then Appearance .
- Click on the option Dark. Similar to Windows, all apps with native dark mode will toggle.
How to activate dark mode for Chrome on Android
Dark mode on Android is enabled in the same way as web content on the desktop. This is still an experimental feature, so some design elements might feel a bit offbeat.
- Go to chrome: // flags in the Chrome address bar.
- Press the checkbox Search for flags and enter the word “dark”. Here you will be presented with two options: dark mode of web content Android and dark mode android chrome user interface .
- Tap the drop-down menu under each option and change the setting to Enabled , then close and restart the application.
- Open the settings menu, select Themes then Dark .
How to enable dark mode for Chrome on iOS
Since the launch of OS 13, Apple has offered a dark mode option for the entire operating system on iPhone and iPad. Selecting this option will automatically switch Chrome to dark mode as well.
- Access your settings , then to Display and activate the dark mode .
- The next time you open Chrome, it should reflect these changes.
Written by Luke Baker and Maggie Tillman. Originally published on .