What are FaceTime Links and How to Call Android and PC Users
This page was translated using AI and machine learning.
(Pocket-lint) – During WWDC 2021, Apple announced a new FaceTime feature: FaceTime Links. With this feature designed to compete with Zoom, anyone, including Android and Windows PC users, can join a FaceTime call.
Here’s what you need to know.
What are FaceTime Links?
- New FaceTime feature
- Start calls and video calls with non-Apple users
In the new FaceTime app, which rolls out with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey, you can link to a FaceTime conversation and then share it with others, even if they don’t have an Apple device.
This means that FaceTime is no longer limited to Apple users. They can simply join the call through a web browser. Non-Apple users can also join a one-on-one FaceTime call or even a FaceTime group call.
When will FaceTime links be available?
- FaceTime links are now available for testing in Developer Beta
- The official rollout will take place later this year
The ability to generate FaceTime links will be available when deploying iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey.
Currently, developer and public beta versions of these software updates are now available for testing. However, you’ll probably want to wait until they’re officially deployed, to make sure they’re free of bugs and major issues.
What do FaceTime links require?
- Apple device (running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS Monterey)
- New FaceTime app
- Chrome or Edge browser
You need an Apple user – with an iPhone, iPad, or Mac running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS Monterey, respectively – to initiate a FaceTime call, generate a FaceTime link, and share it with others.
Non-Apple users can participate in calls using Chrome or Edge browsers. Video calls require H.264 encoding support.
How to create and share a FaceTime link
Here is the process of generating a FaceTime link to start a call with Android or Windows PC users.
Create a link
- Launch the new FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad.
- You will see two options:
- Create a link
- New FaceTime.
- Tap Create Link.
- The FaceTime app will instantly generate a link.
- It will appear on the screen, under an “Coming soon” section.
Share a link
- Follow the steps above to generate a link.
- Sharing tab will immediately appear, allowing you to select how and with whom you want to share the link.
- If you press the “X”, the FaceTime link will appear under the coming section.
- Press the “i” button next to the “FaceTime Link”.
- Choose the “Share link” option from the menu.
- Choose a method to share the FaceTime call link with an Android device.
- You can share by SMS, WhatsApp, Email, Messenger, etc.
- You can also just copy the link and switch to an app and share it that way.
How to join a FaceTime call as an Android or PC user
It’s easy. Just tap the link sent to you, then join the conversation.
Best Android Apps 2021: The Ultimate Guide
Join a FaceTime conversation
- Tap the FaceTime link you received on your device.
- You need the latest version of Chrome or Edge to open the link.
- Enter your name to join the FaceTime call.
- You don’t need an Apple account.
- Press the “Join” button on the screen.
- This will send a notification to the Apple user who created the link.
- You will see a message “Waiting to be authorized to enter …” at the bottom of the screen.
- The Apple user will need to press a “verify” button to allow you to join the call.
Want to know more?
The new FaceTime app includes a ton of other FaceTime updates and improvements, including space audio support, a voice isolation mode to block out background noise, a grid view to see all participants, and a SharePlay feature. which looks like a surveillance night – although the latter feature is not immediately available.
Learn all about the new FaceTime here.
Written by Maggie Tillman. Edited by Britta O’Boyle. Originally published on .