What are Snap Games and how do they work?
This page was translated using AI and machine learning before being reviewed by a human editor in your native language.
(Pocket-lint) – Does Snapchat have a gaming platform?
In 2019, at the Snap Partner Summit in Los Angeles, Snap announced games for Snapchat. There were six games to start with, but the platform has grown and now it includes something called “Minis” with an ever-expanding catalog of multiplayer games. Here’s everything you need to know about Snap Games and even Snap Minis.
What are Snap Games?
Snapchat’s gaming platform is called Snap Games. Touted as a “way to hang out with your friends on Snapchat,” just about every game and app from Snap Games is multiplayer-based. Snap has redesigned the chat feature on Snapchat to include a “rocket” button that you press to jump into a game and play with friends.
Snap is likely hoping its gaming platform will help keep users on the Snapchat platform, as recent reports show its users may not be using the app as much as they used to. Many services, including Instagram, have copied key features from Snapchat, like Stories. It is therefore incumbent on Snapchat to continue to innovate and keep its users coming back.
All of the games are HTML5-based, including the Bitmoji Party game, which comes from Prettygreat, the studio that produced Fruit Ninja (it was bought by Snap). Bitmoji Party reminds us of Mario Party, but with Bitmoji characters instead of the famous plumber and his friends. It features smaller game experiences that can be played with up to eight friends at once, including a zombie game where players infect each other. There are five games in total in Bitmoji Party.
What games are on Snapchat?
Besides Bitmoji Party, Snap Games has grown steadily and now includes over 20 game titles. Here are some of the highlights:
- SpryFox’s Alphabear Hustle: Think of words with friends
- CATS Drift Racing by ZeptoLab: a multiplayer racing game from Zeptolab
- Snake Squad from Game Closure: a reimagining of the classic Snake game
- Zynga’s Tiny Royale: a type of battle royale game from Zynga
- PikPok’s Zombie Rescue Squad: survive the zombie apocalypse with friends
- Voodoo Aquapark: a racing game with water slides for tracks
- NOWWA Super Snappy Bowling: a 1v1 multiplayer bowling game
For a detailed description of all games, check out Snapchat’s FAQ hub.
What are Snap Minis?
Snap Minis are a new feature that you’ll find in the same place you’ll find games.
Instead of being fun games, Snap refers to Minis as “small-sized utilities” to help out friends. Once you’ve clicked on the rocket icon in a chat, you’ll be taken to a menu with both games and minis, so it’s worth knowing the difference. There are only seven minis so far, but some of them can be quite useful.
Here’s what they can do:
- Cinema Tickets by Atom: Buy tickets and choose seats with your friends
- Givingli: a way to request unique and special greeting cards from artists and creators
- Headspace: an application to help with meditation
- Prediction Master: Make predictions about the future and see who’s right
- Let’s do it: Help us decide what to eat or watch
- Flashcards by Tembo: create flashcards to help study
- Register to Vote: Register to Vote in US Elections
How to play Snap Games and use Snap Minis
Snap Games and Snap Minis can be accessed through a new rocket-shaped icon in the chat menu. It works similarly to Facebook’s instant games in its Messenger service. By clicking the rocket icon, your friends in the chat will receive a notification and be allowed to join. For games, the person who starts the session is the game master.
To launch a Snap Game or Snap Mini:
- Swipe right to the friends screen.
- Tap a chat or group chat.
- Tap the Rocket icon to open the game drawer.
- Tap a game or Mini to start using it.
As we said, when you launch a game, everyone in the chat will get a notification. They’ll also see a message in chat about the game, and they can tap the game’s icon to start playing it live. (If no one is playing, you can hide the game icon in chat by dragging the game icon and letting it go.) You can chat with your friends when you’re in a game, just by tapping on the chat bar by down to bring the keyboard. Tap the microphone once, and when you’re done speaking, tap again to stop audio sending.
For more tips and tricks, check out Snapchat’s FAQ hub.
What is the Pocket-lint daily and how do I get it for free?
Want to know more?
Snapchat has details on game data storage, how much each developer earns on their platform, and more, all on their FAQ hub here.
Written by Maggie Tillman.