WhatsApp will no longer work on these smartphones from November 1, 2021
WhatsApp will stop working properly on some smartphones as of November 1, 2021. As is regularly the case, the messaging app is dropping support for certain versions of Android and iOS. Forty smartphones are affected. WhatsApp invites users to install a more recent version of the OS on their phone.
Periodically, WhatsApp is forced to drop support for certain versions of Android and iOS. At the start of the year, instant messaging stopped working on iPhones running a version prior to iOS 9 and smartphones stuck on Android 4.0.2 (or a previous version).
As of November 1, 2021, WhatsApp will apply new restrictions. As explained in its FAQ, the messaging application will no longer work on terminals stuck on versions prior to Android 4.1, iOS 10 or KaiOS 2.5.1. If WhatsApp is already installed on your smartphone, you can continue to use it after the deadline. However, some features may no longer work correctly.
WhatsApp asks to install a newer version of Android or iOS on these smartphones
On its website, WhatsApp lists forty smartphones who may be affected by this change. The list includes phones that came out on the market with an older version of Android or iOS that will no longer be supported. Here is the list :
- Alcatel One Touch Evo 7, Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Faea F1 and THL W8
- iPhone SE, 6s and 6s Plus
- Huawei Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S and Ascend D2
- LG Lucid 2, Optimus F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus L7 II, Optimus F6, Enact, Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Nitro HD and 4X HD, and Optimus F3Q
- Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core and Galaxy Ace 2
- Sony Xperia Miro, Sony Xperia Neo L and Xperia Arc S
- ZTE Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand X Quad V987 and Memo;
For some of the phones listed above, justinstall a newer version of the operating system to continue using WhatsApp without any problem. We think in particular of the iPhone SE and 6S. Older iPhones are indeed compatible with the iOS 14 update, as well as with the future iOS 15 update.