How to Make Group Calls on Alexa or Your Echo Device
This page was translated using AI and machine learning.
(Pocket-lint) – Amazon has extended Alexa Calling functionality so you can make group calls through Alexa devices, such as the Echo Show. It is designed to let you get in touch with everyone at the same time in an easy way.
Video calling has seen a huge boost through 2020 when this change takes effect, and the addition of Alexa Skills will make the Echo – or even your phone – even more useful for staying in touch with up to seven people in any group.
The update was announced in September 2020.
How to Set Up and Make Alexa Group Calls
There are a few things you’ll need to do to get a party setup, but only one person needs to create the party to get started. Imagine you are a family group.
Accumulate rewards and advantages on all your existing cards with this Curve Mastercard
This awesome system will save you time and effort every time you pay.
- Open the Alexa app. You can use the Android or iPhone apps to do this, making sure you’re using the latest version.
- Tap Communicate, then tap the contacts icon in the top right corner.
- Tap Add new and you will be given the option to add a new group or contact, select Group.
- Select the family members you want in the group, using search if necessary. Note that Alexa will need access to your contacts to make these additions. If you haven’t imported any contacts, tap the contacts menu (upper right corner) and select Import contacts.
- Once you have selected all members of the family group – up to six people (you are the seventh) – tap Continue at the bottom of the page,
- Next, you will be asked to give your group a name. This will be the name of the group that Alexa will recognize, so make sure it’s something easy to understand, like Family. Remember that all group members will be able to see the group name, so adapt it. When done, tap Create Group.
- Your family group will now be listed above your contacts, everyone in the group will be notified, and you can use that group for Alexa calls.
- Say “Alexa, call my family” and an Alexa call will be made to the family group.
One thing to note is that there is no protection or admin for groups. Anyone can create them and anyone can modify the members of this group.
Happy Alexa Group Call!
Written by Chris Hall.