How to Recover Files from Emptied Trash on Mac
This page was translated using AI and machine learning.
(Pocket-lint) – The MacOS Trash mechanically retains inadvertently deleted files for a specific amount of time. To recover deleted files from Trash on Mac, you can follow these steps:
- Click the Trash icon
- Select files
- Right click on selected data
- Click PUT BACK to restore the files, and it’s done.
But the most disturbing thing is when the files got deleted from the Recycle Bin. What to do then? In this article, you will learn several ways to recover deleted files even after emptying Trash on Mac.
Part 1: Is It Possible to Recover Empty Trash on Mac?
Yes. Fortunately, the file deletion system allows this once the trash is emptied. The storage space occupied by your deleted files is assigned as empty by the operating system. However, deleted files often remain on your storage device. The possibility of recovering deleted files on your Mac is higher if you have not used the storage device where the files were saved.
The Recycle Bin is actually an archive, so you need to stop all other activity if you want to recover files from your Recycle Bin. Otherwise, your files will be overwritten. The latest Mac versions mechanically empty the Trash after keeping files for 30 days. Eventually, you need to use software to recover deleted files on Mac.
Part 2: How to Recover Files from Empty Trash on Mac with Tenorshare 4DDiG
Tenorshare 4DDiG is a software that recovers any type of data on your Mac even if the Trash is emptied. Tenorshare 4DDiG is very easy to recover recently deleted files from Recycle Bin. It can recover data from all Mac devices. Follow these simple steps to recover files from emptied Recycle Bin:
- Install Tenorshare 4DDiG software, then open it and choose the location on your hard drive to restore data. Then press the Scan button.
- Tap on the desired file for more details as all lost files appear. This may take some time.
- Click the Recover button and choose a location for the restored data.
Then the operation is complete and the data should be recovered.
Part 3: How to Recover Files from Empty Trash on Mac without Software?
The ideal technique to recover files from emptied Trash on Mac is to have a backup before the files are permanently deleted from the machine. These are methods to recover files from emptied Trash on Mac without software.
Method 1: Recover Deleted Files from Mac Trash with Time Machine
Time Machine is a built-in backup tool to restore files from emptied but not permanently deleted recycle bin. The steps to recover deleted files with Time Machine are:
- In the menu bar, click on the clock icon to launch the time machine
- Make sure the media is turned on and properly connected for your Mac backup. After launching, you will have the choice between different save files.
- Recognize files that were unintentionally deleted from a backup that occurred before your deletion date.
- After finding your required files, simply restore to recover deleted files.
Method 2: Recover Files from Mac Empty Trash from iCloud Backup
Besides Time Machine, you can recover deleted files in another way. iCloud Backup prepares a copy of the data on your machine when it is backed up to iCloud. Follow these steps to recover files from emptied Trash using iCloud:
- Go to iCloud.com and sign in.
- Tap settings.
- Select, in the Advanced menu, Restore files.
- Choose the files you want to restore, displayed in the window.
- Finally, click on Restore to accomplish the process.
Method 3: Recover Mac Empty Trash Files from Other Backups
Different backup systems with outstanding features have common recovery steps. Follow these steps as an overview:
- Link storage device to stored backups
- Find the desired file to restore
- After choosing the files to recover, specify the location to store them on your Mac.
- Use the tool interface to perform the recovery.
Method 4: Recover Files from Mac Empty Trash with History (Email)
If backups aren’t available, check your email outbox, inbox and attachments folders – your deleted files might be there if you’re lucky. You may have sent them to colleagues or friends at some point.
Method 5: Recover Files from Mac Empty Trash from Local Data Recovery Service
If your machine is badly damaged or the above mentioned methods do not work then contact a data recovery service center. There, highly expert technicians will recover the deleted files to a new device. It is an expensive way. You can transport or ship your Mac devices to the center, keeping in mind the instructions given to you by the center.
As you will have noticed, after accidentally deleting files, you can often quickly head to the Trash folder and recover deleted files on Trash Mac. You should not ignore maintaining genuine backups for your Mac devices to recover files from your Trash. If your Trash has been emptied and you don’t have a backup, you can still recover empty Mac Trash with Tenorshare 4DDiG data recovery software. In addition, 4DDiG has launched a Christmas and New Year sale until January 6, 2022. So if you want to try 4DDiG’s data recovery software, don’t miss the 75% savings.