Twitter Topics: How to Follow and Unfollow Topics on Twitter
This page was translated using AI and machine learning.
(Pocket-lint) – Imagine you love American football and you want to find interesting tweets about the sport on Twitter. But, when you search for it, you only find meaningless tweets from random fans. It’s a pervasive problem on Twitter.
However, Twitter has a feature designed to help, called Topics, which aims to correct this problem. You can follow over 300 areas of interest – whether it’s sports, entertainment, or games – the same way you follow regular accounts. Then you’ll see tweets from accounts you don’t follow but have expertise on or have said something notable on the topic.
This feature has been available worldwide since November 2019. Here’s what you need to know.
Why do Twitter topics exist?
Twitter seems to think this feature will be ideal for fans of certain topics, aka fandoms. Whether it’s a professional sports team or a music group, rather than following a few official accounts that post developments, you can just follow a relevant topic, and Twitter will show you popular tweets. Topics are also public – so anyone (who can see your full profile) can see the topics you follow.
Here’s how Twitter describes the feature:
“Following a topic allows you to stay on top of what’s going on and see more relevant content, including tweets, events and advertisements, on that topic. On your home feed and in search results, you’ll see prompts to follow topics. Hit the Follow button in the prompt and we’ll personalize your Twitter experience based on your interest in that topic. We may also connect you with other topics that we believe will be of interest to you based on your profile and activity, such as tweets you view or Like. “
Twitter allows you to browse topics on an exploration page. Here you’ll find a huge list of categories, with a few suggested topics depending on who you follow. You can also see the topics you are currently following and, in the Not Interested tab, the topics you have chosen to ignore.
How do Twitter topics work?
How to follow a topic
On iOS and Android:
- From your home journal, press on the icon of your profile in the upper left corner.
- Press on Topics in the sidebar on the left.
- This will present you with a list of suggested topics, press l plus icon to follow one.
On the desk :
- In the sidebar on the left side, click More.
- Select Topics from the drop-down menu.
- This will present you with a list of suggested topics, click on the plus icon to follow one.
How to unsubscribe from a topic
From your welcome timeline:
- In your News Feed, go to a tweet about a topic you’re currently following.
- Tap the down arrow at the top of the tweet and select No longer follow .
From your subjects:
- Press on Topics in menu d icons for your profile.
- Press on No longer follow at side of the subject.
How to see what topics someone is following
Twitter reports that up to 100 of your followed topics are visible in your Topics menu at a time. You also have the option to see what topics someone else is following (whether their tweets are public or if you are an approved follower).
On the Twitter app for iOS and Android and on twitter.com:
- Go to their profile.
- Click or tap the More menu (three dots) at the top of their profile page.
- Select Show topics .
For more guides and news on Twitter, check out our coverage here.
Written by Maggie Tillman. Originally published on .